Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX Logging Analysis

From: John Adams <jna () retina net>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 13:50:56 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Paul Stewart wrote:

HI everyone..

I'm new to the list and apologize if I'm asking a dumb question..:)

We are looking at deploying Cisco PIX 501's for some smaller customers
[...]

Hopefully someone will tell me that open source solutions exist for
Linux.. At least I can hope... At the moment I am syslogging everything
back via UDP but what exists to analyize this data?

I wrote a log analysis tool awhile back for Pixie that is open source, and
not complete, but it may provide some of the analysis you need.

It's at:

http://www.retina.net/~jna/pixie

It uses PHP and Mysql to parse and analyze Pix syslog data, then it
generates reports (like top # of denied hosts, # of denied ports, etc.)

All of the data is hyperlinked so you can browse and traverse the dataset.
It worked well for a small company I was at a year or two ago.

-john

--
J. Adams                                        http://www.retina.net/~jna

The secret of knowing where you are, is knowing what time it is. -- Anonymous