Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ipchains and port forwarding

From: "Robert E. Martin" <rmartin () fishburne org>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 16:07:51 -0500

Mike LaPane wrote:

On Tuesday 04 March 2003 8:38 am, Robert E. Martin wrote:
OK. That makes sense. I do have iproute2 working on the machine and I
can make sense of the documentation, however, will this technique work
across multiple segments? If I route through several subnets to get to
the physical web server box, will this still work or does the machine
need to be on the same physical subnet? I can go with iptables and it
does seem much easier . I have considered this to be the thing to do and
you know what they say, no guts, no glory!

As long as you have a route to that address space it will work fine.

iptables is really much easier. just remember for your fw rules - NAT first, access rules second.

remember to add secondary IP addresses to your external interface (or proxy arp) - probably just as easy to add a secondary.

Good luck,
-Mike

Thanks for the advice everyone. It all made a difference since I'm a one man band here at the school.

I finally got the nat box running and doing port forwarding. I did go to iptables and it worked great. The link for the iptables tutorial, http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html is the best. I did have to use secondary ip addresses and all that jazz. The section in the tutorial about DNAT is what did it. Now all I have to do is re-number the proxy server and, as Jackie Gleason say's, away we go..........

Thanks for all the help guys!! (big smile :) )

--
Robert E Martin
IT Manager