Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PIX Logging Analysis

From: John Adams <jna () retina net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:32:41 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003, Perrymon, Josh L. wrote:

This is an interesting problem with the PIX. I'm looking into writing a log
viewer myself. The problem is that I don't know
of a way for the PIX to report this data to my backend. From what I know I
only get info from debugs and so on...

We chose to send all of the logging data (syslog) off to a single syslog
host, and then used tools to import the syslogs into our database in a
parsed form. The tools (and link) I provided with PIXiE will do this.

I haven't done much work with PIXiE in the last year or two but I'm
considering restarting the project. Help is always appreciated on it, as
the PIX software has run through a few versions since the initial writing.

I would like to have something that listed all the traffic passing through
the PIX..  This has to be possible..

If you really want that, use the Caida tools (netflow, cflow, etc) and
record flows on each side of the firewall.

Create a pair of SPAN ports off your switch, going into your flow monitor
or a passive (optical) splitter on fiber connections. Use the supplied
tools to show what you're passing/blocking and where it's coming from.

--john

--
J. Adams                                        http://www.retina.net/~jna

The secret of knowing where you are, is knowing what time it is. -- Anonymous