Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VA vs PT tool

From: Ivan Arce <ivan.arce () corest com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:30:55 -0300

I could not resist and jumped in...

ok, so i work for the company that sells CORE IMPACT but i will
try to keep this as objective as possible. However, my opinions are not
unbiased.

CORE IMPACT does exactly what you ask for, it ships with real
exploits (developed in-house, NOT a collection of publicly available
proof of concept code hacked together from mailing lists and archives), that actually compromise systems and install agents on them by exploiting their vulnerabilities, the user can the take advantage of the deployed agents to
elevate privileges in compromised hosts or penetrate further into the target
network, the substatial and troublesome part of any penetration test.

the infosecurity magazine review of the product is not especially good,
but most of the shortcomings pointed out in the article steem from its network mapping and os fingerprinting capabilities. That is certainly a necessary part of any PT and the product covers it lightly according to infosecmag. but the real strengths and its unique-ness are more apparent with the exploitation, attack and privilege escalation and reporting and cleanup capabilities.

-ivan

---

Ivan Arce
CTO
CORE SECURITY TECHNOLOGIES

46 Farnsworth Street
Boston, MA 02210
Ph: 617-399-6980
Fax: 617-399-6987
ivan.arce () coresecurity com
www.coresecurity.com

PGP Fingerprint: C7A8 ED85 8D7B 9ADC 6836  B25D 207B E78E 2AD1 F65A

Gregory Austin wrote:
Simon,

You may want to take a look at the latest Information Security magazine (June). There is an article about a product called CORE IMPACT that purports to do what you're looking for. I personally have no experience with the product, and it didn't get an especially good review from the magazine, but if you're interested you can find the article on-line at:

     http://www.infosecuritymag.com/2003/jun/testcenter.shtml

Greg

However, a VA tool is limited, in that it only stops at the vulnerability.

I'm looking at a Pen Test tool that not only does the VA functionality but
also exploit the vulnerability thus
defining it as a real THREAT and not just a vulnerability.

Is there a widely accepted tool on the market right now ?