Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Blocking Kazaa

From: natfirewall () netscape net (Nate Bombero)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:13:50 -0400

Is anyone out there willing to comment on this Peer to Peer blocking feature of Checkpoint NG fp3?  Does it work, not
work, not sure?

I've been using Snort's flex response to try to accomplish the blocking.  I had to add to the stock Snort P2P rules
because the content of those rules didn't quite match what I was seeing in the gnutella packets I had captured...
Which makes me feel like maybe Snort is not finding all of our P2P file sharers. (Next I plan on comparing Snort's
kazaa rules against some current kazaa packets)

So... does anyone using CKP's NG feel warm and fuzzy about its ability to block the peer to peer stuff?

Thanks,

Nat