Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VMware (or else) in different areas/dmz

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:08:56 +0100

"Paul D. Robertson" wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Siebenkaes Stefan wrote:

What about your opinions on that?
Does anybody run virtual machines in DIFFERENT zones?
Are there any known security issues (besides bad configuration) on
communication between virtual machines on VMWare or comparable
software?

I don't know what your server platform is, but I've seen Linux 2.4.x
kernels switch interface order between reboots in a stock RH 8.0 setup.
First boot, it was eth0, now it's eth1- very fun for multihomed machines.

And I've had NT4 gone and do it on me.  Multiple times.
On a 4-NIC box.  For no apparent reason.  Infinitely annoying.

Fortunately, in my case, this is just a workstation with a bunch
of extra NICs for testing purposes, so this isn't a security
problem for me, but .....

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden