Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DNS security (Was: re: terminal services)

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:32:51 +0100

"Reckhard, Tobias" wrote:

On Wednesday, January 29, 2003 11:09 PM, Paul Robertson wrote:
Let's not forget that nailing DNS source ports to 53 reduces somewhat
(though by a trivial ammount) resistance to blind spoofing attacks.

Does that actually increase resistance against spoofing attacks?

Yes.

The DNS ID can be used for much better protection against spoofing attacks.
dnscache uses a cryptographic generator for it.

dnscache also uses a new random port number each time.

There's no cryptographic difference between randomizing the source
port and the ID. They're both 16-bit numbers.

There is however a world of a difference between randomizing just
one, and randomizing both. All of a sudden, you go from
"gotta hit 1 out of 65536 to get me", to
"gotta hit 1 out of 4294967296 to get me".

For non-recursive resolvers, it may be a slight issue, since
fewer packets
gives a good chance to win a race.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

It's easier to beat the odds if the resolver has multiple
queries outstanding.  And the odds don't just increase
linearly.

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden