Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Allowing DNS servers to operate behind NetScreen 500

From: Mike Scher <mscher () neohapsis com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 10:11:41 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Volker Tanger wrote:
Reckhard, Tobias wrote:
No, it is not. The reason for my response was that I don't know of any
currently relevant reason for DNS responses to be over 512 bytes in size.

Well, I've seen - and that was not even signed DNS. The idi... ahem...
programmers of that system (mis)used fake hostnames to hold session-ID
and shopping basket content. And that easily went beyond UPD packet size
quite often. Cacheing did not work with that system either.

Why didn't it respond to TCP?  On what little you describe, that
arrangement sounds remarkably like the traffic against which firewalls
should protect weaker systems.  It almost sounds like what a hostile
nameserver trying to clear a cache or run it out of memory would do.

Responding generally to the thread from here down (and generally agreeing
with Tobias):

If I start stuffing more data in a transaction than the widely-adopted RFC
says I should have, am I implementing an experimental RFC or trying a
buffer-overflowing attack?  Firewall L7 awareness can't be predictive; nor
should it accomodate all possible new variations until they become
reasonably widespread.  There's L4 modes that most firewalls have -- they
will accomodate such shenanigans (doing little more for UDP than opening a
time-based window of opportunity triggered and renewed by traffic from the
allowed initiator).

The basic operating default of a firewall should be strict; yet a good
firewall should let an administrator selectively and intelligently allow
protocol variance.  If you want to mess around with variant UDP protocols,
just dumb down the firewall's L7 handling of the protocol in question --
don't encourage the vendor to weaken the established protocol handling by
default.  Most accomodate this sort of mode.

Opining that a new protocol can't be rolled out because firewalls will
block the new version is the very reason to select a new port for the new
protocol.  Asking not only vendors but end-users to constantly update
firewalls with no known holes just to accomodate every experimental
protocol variant is exceedingly unreasonable.  As is asking end users to
use broadly open protocol compliance checking.

      -M
--
Michael Brian Scher     |     Director, Neohapsis Labs
mscher () neohapsis com    |     General Counsel