Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: You'll never get fired for recommending IBM - sorry - Microsoft

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:38:24 -0500

MHawkins () TULLIB COM wrote:
[...] you don't care one hoot about my opinions apart from declaring
analogies invalid due to their not proof of anything. Something I already
know thanks.

Not at all!! Your opinions are extremely important to me!! I was
just wrestling with the conflicting goals of not repeating myself
and beating a dead horse versus the off chance that you were
a sensitive guy and would misinterpret my response as not
treating your opinions in accordance with their importance. I
didn't mean to hurt your feelings, and I am very sorry if you
felt dismissed or downplayed.

I use one analogy and the rest of my opinion is ignored.

Of course it wasn't! Thousands of people (including me!)
read it. I just didn't _respond_ to _that_ _part_.  It's OK. We
didn't ignore you.

Funny, that seems to be what happened to the last bunch of people who tried
using the word monoculture.

We didn't ignore them, either!! They got their 15 minutes of
fame!! More like they got a few weeks of fame. Dan Geer is
going to be giving conference keynote speeches for at least
a year based on the strength of the paper, his firing, and the
attention it got him. I think that's great! Perhaps we'd have
paid more overt attention to your posting if it had gotten
you fired, too. ;)

And I really don't think people _are_ ignoring "monoculture"
arguments. Our own FEDERAL GOVERNMENT (embodied in
the guise of the National Science Foundation) just awarded a
$750,000 grant to CMU and University of New Mexico to
study "monocultures" and diversity in computing.

So don't worry - there's still lots of traction in that particular
hype-meme.

mjr.