Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: You'll never get fired for recommending IBM - sorry - Microsoft

From: MHawkins () TULLIB COM
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:00:42 -0500

You know, the more I think about this, and the more I read, I agree with the
use of the term monoculture.

Because Microsoft is not a monopoly.

And I copy a brief exchange that came up on the "I'm feeling lucky google
button" for "meaning of the word monopoly".

Evidently, people know think that a monopoly means "I have to use a product
because everybody else uses it". Sorry, that comes nowhere near the true
meaning of the word.

Read on... http://www.control.com/994793842/index_html

Here is the text.

Re: MS 'Monopoly'? was ENGR WinNT Reliability
Jul 10, 2001 3:37 pm, by Ralph Mackiewicz
Text :
Please refer to zdnet.com for information regarding the US appeals
court decision. MS does, in point of fact and law, maintain a
monopoly in the desktop operating systems market. Furthermore, MS
has, in point of fact and law, violated section 2 of the Sherman
Anti-trust law. You can say and believe what you want, but the facts
are evident as attested to in mind-numbing and sleep inducing detail
by the courts.

Just because a bunch of congressman and senators in the early part of the
twentieth century misused the word monopoly when they wrote the
Sherman Anti-trust law doesn't change the meaning of the word.

What the federal judiciary has been doing regarding MS is ruling on a point
of law, not on a definition. They said MS had a "monopoly" on
desktop o/s **AS DEFINED BY THE SHERMAN ANTI-TRUST LAW**. There is a reason
why legal and medical terms are sometimes defined by latin
names: so the legal/medical meaning doesn't get confused with the real
definition in popular usage. Too bad they didn't do that with Sherman.

You can say that Microsoft is the dominant supplier of desktop O/S but they
don't have a monopoly on anything other than Windows.

Laws exist to prevent monopolies, not protect them.... And, as stated
above and by the courts, this one does exist.

Laws do not prevent monopolies. Laws create them. Try to setup a company to
distribute electricity to residential customers and you will soon enough
discover how the law is used to enforce a monopoly. Then to compare, start a
company to market graphical user interface operating systems in competition
with MS. You may have some trouble
getting investors but you won't get arrested for it. The last I heard Linus
Torvalds is still a free man.

I would also question the accuracy of your "hundreds of choices"
reference.

OK. I exaggerated a little. The RTOS buyers guide lists 33 O/Ses in their
listing. That doesn't even include MS, Linux, and the Unix variations. So
there are over 30 operating systems available not hundreds. Sorry.

In closing, neither you nor I are a lawyer, but the judges are. You
may not like what they said, but MS does fit the legal definition of a
monopoly, and has fulfilled the legal definition of violation of US
Anti-Trust law. Therefore, by definition, they are a monopoly.

I may not be a lawyer but I do know the difference between a legal opinion
(MS is a monopoly as defined by the Sherman Anti-trust Act)
and the incorrect assertion that there are no choices because MS has a
monopoly on operating systems. Curt W. is proof enough of how this
latter assertion is incorrect: he is building systems that don't have MS in
it.

Regards,
Ralph Mackiewicz