Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Setting up H323 IP telephony etc - was Re: [fw-wiz] Apple's iSight and Firewalls

From: Barney Wolff <barney () databus com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 20:58:46 -0400

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 05:07:46PM -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Sorry - I'm feeling extremely curmudgeonly today. In my inbox I had
*5* reports of mission-critical networks that were taken down by
various worms in the last week. Why's that? On the surface, the
answer is "RPC bug" but the REAL answer is "people should not
be connecting mission-critical networks to the Internet - even with
firewalls."   A small handful of us have been singing this song quietly
in the corner for about 12 years, now. Is anyone going to ever "get it"??

Alas, for the latest round merely being not Internet connected would
not have been good enough.  An infected immigrant laptop is enough to take
down any isolated net.

For a sufficiently rich and motivated org, I'd advocate changing the
Ethertype of IP from 800, just to make it harder to connect conventional
equipment by accident.  Does even NSA do anything like that?

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.