Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Transparent proxies and PMTUD on the (WWW) serverside

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 19:49:16 -0400

--On Wednesday, August 27, 2003 00:33:53 +0200 Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com> wrote:

"Marcus J. Ranum" wrote:

> If an ALG supports transparent proxying, enables PMTUD, and does not
> intercept ICMP must fragment, the ALG is broken. File a high priority
> trouble ticket with your vendor.

If an ALG understands PMTUD and ICMP it's not an ALG, it's a packet
filter masquerading as a proxy. All that stuff is totally below
application space.

Um, no. I'll rephrase Carson's mail for him:

"If an ALG-based firewall system that implements transparency on
the client side has PMTUd on in the underlying operating system,
and the transparency code doesn't handle ICMP 'must frag'
errors, the firewall system is b0rken."

So, yeah, ok, the ALG itself shouldn't care about ICMP errors.
But the transparency function / packet filter that makes
the ALG transparent surely should. And it doesn't make
the firewall a packet filter in my book.

Exactly.

And Marcus, almost all ALGs "know" about PMTUD and ICMP, they just outsource it to the kernel (in a rare example of compartmentalized code ;-) ). Once transparency is involved, the outsourcing is no longer complete, as specific packet re-writing instructions must be communicated to the kernel. In the Sidewinder case, they signed a bad outsourcing agreement ;-)

--
Carson