Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Apple's iSight and Firewalls

From: jseymour () LinxNet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:43:23 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All,

My company would like to set up inexpensive video-conferencing.
They've been bugging me for a solution for some time.  The partner
company, being All Windows, All The Time, of course immediately
suggested NetMeeting.  ISTR a discussion about NetMeeting here, perhaps
prompted by me, and, IIRC, it pretty much requires one make swiss
cheese of their firewall for it to work.  I vetoed it, and management
backed me up.  Doing a search on "NetMeeting" on SecurityFocus was not
encouraging, either.

Recently they bought me an iBook to do some WebObjects development
with.  It just hit me today that maybe Apple's iSight product would do
the trick for video conferencing.

Problem is: I've no idea what iSight would need through the firewall.

There's this:

    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030623203213301

If 5060 and 16384 through 16403 UDP are all that are required, and I
can specify the only allowed IP address inside they would forward to,
well, that might be acceptable.

Comments?  Opinions?  Suggestions?  Flames? ;)

Thanks,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour                  | PGP Public Key available at:
jseymour () LinxNet com         | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html