Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: linux on an s390, in a switched env, how to sniff?

From: "Sloane, David" <DSloane () vfa com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:44:36 -0400

Ron,

If you control the switch and the patch panel, it may not be that hard.

If it's a Cisco Catalyst switch, this may work:

        interface FastEthernet0/10
         port monitor FastEthernet0/20

This sends all port 20's traffic to port 10 (along with any port 10's
usual traffic), so you can sniff your S390 (or any other box) from any
port on the same switch.  The switch can generally handle the traffic
across it's backplane, but you could lose packets when combining two
busy ports.

If you have the ports and nics, you'd be better off with a very fast
port monitoring a slower port, like so:

        interface GigabitEthernet1/01
         port monitor FastEthernet0/20

But that's probably overkill.

I suspect other mid- to high-end managed switches provide similar
functionality (I think I've seen it on 3Com SuperStack's), but I don't
know how they do it.

-David