Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tunnel vs open a hole

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 16:25:00 -0400

At 03:07 PM 4/8/2003 -0400, Frederick M Avolio wrote:

>Of course, encryption exacerbates the problem. :-) We can then gain a tremendously high level of >assurance that Dave Piscitello did something over SSL to a particular IP address from a particular >IP address.

This "opaque tunnel is worse than a cleartext channel" argument is tiresome.
If you qualify the argument with "ill-conceived deployment [of opaque tunnels]"
then I concede this is as perceptive an claim as "leaving a local console logged in
as root and unattended is A Bad Idea".

Odd, but I thought having a temendously high level of assurance
that the identity at the client end of an tunnel is indeed Dave Piscitello
allows you to constrain what Dave is permitted to access and execute.
Encrypting the tunnel protects authentication and information exchange.

Yes, VPNs are imperfect extensions to an already imperfect (login) model.
They try to create as close a semblance to a "local session" UI as possible.
Isn't this a cost of distributed/mobile/extreme computing?

We *could* all go back to requiring client access from a physically secured
premise, to a glass-enclosed central computer. And of course we are now
so sophisticated with our biometrics that shy of "Mission Impossible"
calibre attackers, we are *assured* no unauthorized activity can take place.

My point is that in response to Anton's *original* posting, and Marcus' claim,
SSH/SSL/VPN is *one* more security measure/layer. The root cause
you and Adam identify as killing indictments of VPNs - compromised identities - is
an inherited problem, not one unique to VPNs.

Oh, yes, it is exacerbated by allowing tens of millions of people *promiscuous*
use of a global networking infrastructure. Sorry, I lost myself for a moment.