Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: tunnel vs open a hole

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 21:26:07 -0700

Barney Wolff wrote:

On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 02:59:37PM -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Protocol-over-protocol "attacks" mooted firewalls a loooooooong time
ago. We've just been cheerfully ignoring that fact. I was tunnelling
IP packets uuencoded over smtp back in the early 1990's (I guess
it would have been 1993 or -4) and got good enough RTTs that I
could even NFS-mount filesystems across a firewall once I had
tuned the NFS timeouts and retries correctly.
With all due respect, this is something of an overstatement.  Tunneling
requires a cooperating agent on the inside.  The security policy of
that agent becomes part of your firewall.

The scary "gotcha": what if the "cooperating agent" on the inside is a worm or a virus?

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/
Chief Scientist, WireX                    http://wirex.com