Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: ? re: PIX port translation config

From: "Melson, Paul" <PMelson () sequoianet com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 16:32:49 -0400

Tim,

I don't see anything here that's too wild.  The PIX should have no problem with a static NAT where the 'gaddr' isn't
local to the interface it's being translated on, no matter how unnatural it seems. :-)

For instance, it's no problem to do:

static (inside,dmz) 10.0.1.3 10.0.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0
static (dmz,inside) 10.0.1.3 10.1.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0

From there, you just need to get your access-lists right.  For example:

access-list acl_dmz permit tcp host 10.0.1.2 host 10.0.1.3 eq 8880
!-- where 'acl_dmz' is defined by 'access-group acl_dmz in interface dmz'

access-list acl_inside permit tcp host 10.1.1.2 host 10.0.1.3 eq 80
!-- where 'acl_inside' is defined by 'access-group acl_inside in interface inside'

I do see potential for routing problems depending on the complexity of the network segments on either side of the PIX,
the use of RIP, etc.  But the PIX should be able to do what you're asking for.  The only condition is that the PIX
performs NAT (and proxy-arp) on an interface-by-interface basis, so 10.0.1.3 can't be re-used by another node on the
inside or DMZ network without causing problems with ARP.

What version of OS is your PIX running?  I've put a config very similar to this into production on a 515E running
6.2(2).  However, I think the only requirement is that the OS support the access-list directive.  I don't think you
could do this using conduits.

PaulM