Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Managed Firewall Service - Opinions

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:24:56 -0400

At 11:02 AM 4/21/2003 -0400, PMelson () analysts com wrote:
Excellent point. This example, which is probably fairly common, illustrates how
risk management can never be 100% outsourced and requires a good deal of trust
between the customer and the MSSP.

Agreed.

Unfortunately for MSSP B, to refuse their
customers' requests, regardless of reason, is likely business suicide.  On the
other hand, if the customer has decided to outsource security services from a
company and then ignores their recommendations, then I have to question the
customer's commitment to security in the first place.

My experience has been that small organizations (under $25M) are
too ill-informed about security to have the commitment you might consider appropriate.
From outward appearances, it seems that security awareness and the willingness
to take the extra measure aren't growing as fast as the population of organizations
that are willing to remain ill-informed.

Of course, what's the
alternative?  If the 3rd-party product vendor has no security commitment, then
instead of allowing Telnet, do they hang a $60 modem off a serial port
somewhere?  Is that any better?

Well, we could begin a thread on SSH (I recommended this, and it turns out
that Company B did indeed adopt this about a year later).

Ideally, these issues are addressed in the planning and selection phases of the
project and the 3rd-party vendor agrees to abide by the customer's security
requirements before anything is ever installed or paid for.

There's a huge vaccuum between the "Ideal" and "I deal" worlds...

David M. Piscitello
Core Competence, Inc. &
3 Myrtle Bank Lane
Hilton Head, SC 29926