Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: commercial va

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:44:08 +0200

Aw man, normally I wouldn't bite, but...

DISCLAIMER: I work for eEye.

You should look at Retina as well. For freeware, Nessus is also cool, but I,
personally, would be very careful running it on production networks (we
often recommend that people use nessus as a complement to Retina, but it
does have a habit of freaking out networks).

Cybercop is dead, don't bother. List etiquette suggests that I avoid
discussing ISS.

In general terms, I would encourage you to look at VA as a solution -
everyone knows that the perimiter Firewall / IDS model isn't enough anymore,
and VA can be a very important part of improving your proactive security and
managing your risk.

Nobody in the VA market yet has a "silver bullet", by the way, but all the
major players have now evolved past the simple "scan, report a big list of
problems" approach, which is only half of the story.

ben