Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: stealth ports and IDS

From: Frank Knobbe <fknobbe () knobbeits com>
Date: 04 Oct 2002 16:46:29 -0500

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 13:47, Ben Nagy wrote:
This appears to be security urban myth. I (and others) have tried it. It
doesn't work.

(The problem is that most network devices will not bring up layer 1,
because not all the wires are connected.)

The RO Cable I use works like a charm, so don't be so quick writing it
off as an urban legend. The only drawback is that you can only use it on
a plain-old, dumb hub, since my cable fakes the 'missing link' by
crossing the receive pair back to send. That will confuse the heck out
of switches (MAC table blow-up), but works fine on a hub.

In those cases the line you are monitoring can only be half-duplex. If
you want to monitor full-duplex links, you need to use a switch and
configure a monitor port (or use taps and pipe their output onto a
switch with a monitor port).

If you want a diagram for that cable, let me know (or just look at the
Snort FAQ).

Regards,
Frank