Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: stealth ports and IDS

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 11:08:44 -0400 (EDT)

On 3 Oct 2002, James X wrote:

One stumbling box has been the idea of a stealth port.  I usually
operate my IDS boxes with the interfaces in stealth mode ie no IP
address or stack. I do not know of a way of acheiving this using linux
or netBSD etc.. and without it I would feel rather vulnerable. To help

Maybe it's just me, but how about just not putting an IP address on the
interface?

I doubt you can get away with not puting IP in the kernel, but I really
don't know enough about how libpcap does its thing to say for sure...

Paul