Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: stealth ports and IDS

From: Kevin Steves <stevesk () pobox com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:20:20 -0700

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 10:59:29AM -0400, Anton A. Chuvakin wrote:
address or stack. I do not know of a way of acheiving this using linux
or netBSD etc.. and without it I would feel rather vulnerable. To help
Well, in Linux its really simple:

ifconfig eth1 up

with enable the interface with no IP. Just use the snort with "snort -i
eth1" and you are in action.

A 0 addr up interface may transmit.  I know OpenBSD will currently
respond to ARP requests for 0.0.0.0 in this case; NetBSD should not
(from my examination of the source).  And there may be other transmit
cases for a 0.0.0.0 up interface (I suspect there probably are)
depending on OS.