Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SANS Top Ten and Commercial Firewalls

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:26:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, manatworkyes moderator wrote:

This is a very good question. I'd like to extend that question to other
security solutions. IDS for examples: How many IDS systems can deal with the
slapper worm ? How many AV blocks bugbear (Before it was publicly available
?)

I'd bet that lots of AV products could deal with the e-mail vector well
ahead of signature generation, but the AV industry has found (and the IDS
industry is about to find) that false positives are the major issue.
Nobody turns on hueristic AV scanning because of false positives, even
though the engines catch more early attempts at seeding if it's done.

Do you (or anyone else) knwo if there is any *network based generic*
security device that deals with the latest Solaris bug ?

Anything that deals well with the latest bug won't deal well with the
latest application.  There's a number of people who never saw the
originating mail in this thread because it contained the name of a common
executable that was exploited last year- those people would never have
known if there was a new attack because of the false positive (some of
them are the same as the last time someone mentioned that executable, so
we know they're unaware of the false positive rate, or have chosen to
accept it.)  Some people have bounced messages with signatures- about the
only type of attachment I'll let on the list.  False positives stop you
from getting real and useful information.  In the network, that can be a
disaster, and most places the discipline to weed out the false positives
degrades significantly over time.

IMO, the SmartDefense stuff, is more then signature blocking. It looks for
the roots of the problem. So, if SSLv2 is vulenrable, use only SSLv3.

Forcing protocol upgrades isn't always easy, and isn't common- most SSH
installations still allow protocol version 1.5.

At work, we've been introducing the concepts of essential configurations
and historically broken.  Both of those concepts though, need either a
valid generic risk assessment (with alternatives,) or someone to make a
specific organizational risk assessment (i.e. 52% of my customers have a
browser that won't speak SSLv3, therefore I can't *afford* to lock them
out...)

Paul