Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SANS Top Ten and Commercial Firewalls

From: ark () eltex ru
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:17:16 +0400

nuqneH,

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 02:27:45PM -0400, Gary Flynn wrote:

Being efficient (as opposed to being lazy :) I thought
I'd pose a question here to a body of folks familiar with
the firewall marketplace rather than scour individual
commercial web sites where details are often rare.

Of the SANS "Twenty Most Critical Internet Security
Vulnerabilities" ( http://www.sans.org/top20 )
how many are addressed by the majority of commercial
firewalls without resorting to blocking the associated
port and service entirely?

In other words, how many of them can detect and block
things like:

Speaking on my product..

W1. IIS malicious requests for cmd.exe and sample files
    and buffer overflows.

Sometimes. It is often prevented _before_ vulnerability is known if
the exploit breaks http protocol, otherwise you can block it with regexp.

Actually preventing attacks to pulic servers is tricky thing, host based
protection works better.

We even do not advise to use our firewall to protect public servers.

W2. Requests for MDAC access

Same as the above, regexp filtering.

W3. Malicious SQL Server requests based on patched defects or
    sa access without a password.

Yes.

W5. Null netbios access (as opposed to all netbios access)
W6. Netbios sessions based on LM Hash.
W7. Netbios sessions to accounts with no passwords.

No. Making netbios shares public is _evil_. We plan to implement
netbios proxy, though, but it is not ready yet.

W8. Malicious HTTP responses exploiting IE defects.

Yes, though not 100%.

W9. Remote Registry Access

It is netbios/smb shares issue.

U1. Malicious RPC calls

Some. Should be improved. rpc proxy is beta.

U2. Malicious HTTP calls to Apache web servers exploiting the
    OpenSSL or Apache chunk handling defects.

Not yet if apache handles SSL itself. See note about IIS above.

U3. Malicious SSH requests exploiting SSH defects.

Not yet, though we plan to implement ssh proxy.

U4. Malicious SNMP requests or requests with the community
    name blank or equal to "public".

Not yet, though we plan to implement snmp proxy. But it is better
to filter snmp access from outside.

U5. Malicious requests to FTP servers exploiting wu-ftp defects.

Yes.

U7. Malicious requests to the line printer daemon.

Yes, long before vulnerabilites became known.

U8. Malicious requests to sendmail.

Yes, same as U7.

U9. Malicious requests to bind.

Yes, same as U7.

I know there will be variances and subsets but I was hoping
to get some kind of general feeling for the overall coverage.
If you know of a better place to pose the question, please
let me know.

thanks,

--
Gary Flynn