Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: sunscreen vs netbios

From: Jim MacLeod <jmacleod () hotpop com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:24:37 -0800

Depends on the windows network config. (Not gonna do an MS rant, not gonna do an MS rant, breathe, Jim, breathe...)

Windows networking Workgroups are based on broadcasts. No way to browse a workgroup through a routing firewall or VPN.

Domains are a trickier beast. On browsing, NT uses point-to-point netbios for WINS, Win2K actually uses DNS to the PDC (or ADS or whatever they call it this rev). Don't forget that netbios uses 137, 138, and 139.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that random windows networking things simply will not work through NAT? e.g. changing passwords. However, browsing and logging on should still work.

Good luck,

-Jim