Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: sunscreen vs netbios

From: Elizabeth Zwicky <zwicky () counterpane com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:41:01 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Todd Anderson [mailto:todd () bsd uchicago edu]

netbios works if I manually map a share

net use x: \\server\share /USER:domain\me

however, when I try to browse the network or join a domain I
never see a
response comming back to the external interface of the
sunscreen.  (using
snoop)

has anyone run into this, or is it a user problem?

These are symptoms of problems resolving the special names
involved in these processes, and suggest that you are not
correctly configured to use WINS (or the WINS server you're
trying to use isn't in the appropriate broadcast domain
to get the information you need). The special names involved
are generally dealt with via broadcast, and if you don't
have WINS running, you definitely won't be able to do
anything useful unless you're in the same broadcast domain
with the hosts you want to browse, or a domain controller (in
the case of joining the domain).

The details of how this all works aren't very well documented
most places; I happen to think the documentation in
O'Reilly's Building Internet Firewalls, 2nd Edition, is
unusually detailed, but then again I sweated blood to get
those details to write the coverage, so I'm biased.

        Elizabeth Zwicky
        zwicky () greatcircle com