Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: RE: Help w/ Port 137 Traffic

From: "Stefan Norberg" <stefan () orbisec com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 19:52:41 +0200

Thanks for all the replies.  The change I believe I will make
in my firewall rules is to explicitly block inbound 137-139
traffic.  My default iptables policy is to deny, and these
are not ports I have opened up, so....they should be being
blocked, but an extra rule to catch this up front won't hurt.

I tend to build firewall rulebases that does the following (don't know
if this is common practice/knowledge out there):

1) Accept rules for traffic to the firewall device itself go first (such
as ssh, fw-gui).
2) Explicit drop for all other traffic to the firewall device.
3) General accept rules (ordered by system - high volume stuff first).
4) Silent drop of some stuff that just fills up the logs and add litte
value, such as udp/137. Drop certain internal ip's that scans the
internal network all the time. And so on.
5) Drop and log everything else.

In general you don't want to use block/reject, since it sends out a TCP
RST (for TCP) or ICMP port unreach for UDP. An example where you would
you block/reject is to avoid timeouts for valid traffic such as identd.

I have to add one clarification to the scenario and apologize
for not including this up front:  could running Samba (as a
master browser/file server - not domain controller) be the
source of the problem?  Are there some outbound ports I
should be blocking when (I assume) Samba announces itself
periodically as the master browser?

You should block ALL outbound (and inbound) traffic that isn't
explicitly needed for your system to function.

Stefan