Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Help w/ Port 137 Traffic

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 09:10:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Mikael Olsson wrote:

know- I don't run Windows, so I haven't played with doing NetBIOS stuff
and don't know what the normal programming sequence is for enumerating
shares, and as we don't let customers expose NetBIOS ports at all, this
was never high on my list of things to worry about.

I've personally never seen share enumeration being done over port 137.
I have only seen it done over 139, and I guess it can be done over
port 445 as well.

By "sequence" I meant "Do name lookup, then go enumerate shares."
Depending on what the worm is written with, there could be a
"go_check_for_shares()" that does a name lookup then enumerates the
shares- sequence being a series of events, not a method.

Sometimes the sequence of events can lead to clues about the author- and
sometimes their toolset restricts how they perform certain functions (the
last Windows malcode I had my hands on, for instance was written in
Delphi- and I *know* from making feature requests and dealing with systems
that can't talk SMTP right that most Delphi authors use components that
they have no control over- those may have a particular sequence of events,
or all the common examples of "how to do $foo" may use a particular
sequence, such as "get computer name from IP address" then "go look for
open shares.")  I simply don't know enough about Windows programming to
know if doing the name lookup gains something, or is normal, or rather is
an artifact of a particular toolset (we have folks who track Windows
malcode, I'm not one.)

Paul