Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Help w/ Port 137 Traffic

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () clavister com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 14:57:10 +0200

"Paul D. Robertson" wrote:

http://www.ciac.org/ciac/W32_BugBear_info.html
[...]
I suspect the worm does a lookup prior to an infection

This is _possible_. If the worm prefers logging on with
"computername\username" rather than just "username", it would have to
get the netbios host name first. I don't see _why_ it'd be doing it;
I'm just saying it _could_.

, but I really don't
know- I don't run Windows, so I haven't played with doing NetBIOS stuff
and don't know what the normal programming sequence is for enumerating
shares, and as we don't let customers expose NetBIOS ports at all, this
was never high on my list of things to worry about.

I've personally never seen share enumeration being done over port 137.
I have only seen it done over 139, and I guess it can be done over
port 445 as well.

"nbtstat -a computername" however returns a list of "names" associated
with the box. This includes: the computer name, the domain/wg name,
and the name of the currently logged on user.  How this can help a worm,
i don't know.

Anyway, what I do know is that you don't access shares (infect things)
over port 137.  This happens over 139/445.

My guess would be that ciac got it (the _important_ facts) wrong.
I do know for a fact that their recommendations are a bit off; they only
recommend to firewall ports 137--139, which is a bit narrow for my taste;
it exposes the portmapper (135) as well as port 445.

/Mike, off to write a note to ciac about fixing their documentation

--
Mikael Olsson, Clavister AB
Storgatan 12, Box 393, SE-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK, Sweden