Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Annoying pop-ups

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 16:29:28 -0500 (EST)

Gregory,

      I tend to agree with you (as I noted), but that doesn't address my
question at all.  Are you guys saying that the messenger service is
dangerous/not useful on the LAN?  I think I can make a better argument for
some core network functionality being turned on by default than you guys
can for turning everything off.  Imagine if everything were turned off by
default, things would definitely be safer--but how bad would that world
suck for the technically dysfunctional you guys are talking about
defending?  They'd be safer, but their computers would be paperweights to them.

<rant>
The messenger service is *not* evil.  Letting unfiltered Internet traffic
hit your machine *is* stupid.  And if you spill hot coffee on yourself,
it's *your* fault you got burned, you clumsy dumb-ass.
</rant>

I think one has to ask this question about the service in question and the
problems faced by yhe original poster:

1>  is the service abusable remotely

2>  is the service abusable internally

3>  does the vendor provide a security mechnism to prevent the abuse of
the service and is that well documented

4>  is the service required for systems to be functional on the corp or
home network

I think you answer that in your rant above about unfiltered traffic
hitting the inside machine<s>.

Additionally, considering most home networks consist of a single system,
shared by the family of in the kid's bedrooms, how functional is the
messaging service?  But, considering the home/small office networks
consisting of more then one system;  does the vendor in question actually
document how the service can be abused and provide information about how
to deal with and prevent such abuses?  Not providing such a mechanism and
documentation might well be itself a primary lack of resonsibility as
pertains to their stance on security.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

<what you don't know, *can* hurt you>
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!