Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Annoying pop-ups

From: Gregory Austin <gaustin () rkon com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 12:22:22 -0600

Ron,

I tend to agree with you (as I noted), but that doesn't address my question at all. Are you guys saying that the messenger service is dangerous/not useful on the LAN? I think I can make a better argument for some core network functionality being turned on by default than you guys can for turning everything off. Imagine if everything were turned off by default, things would definitely be safer--but how bad would that world suck for the technically dysfunctional you guys are talking about defending? They'd be safer, but their computers would be paperweights to them.

<rant>
The messenger service is *not* evil. Letting unfiltered Internet traffic hit your machine *is* stupid. And if you spill hot coffee on yourself, it's *your* fault you got burned, you clumsy dumb-ass.
</rant>

Greg

P.S. I out-right despise MS, in case I wasn't clear about that in my message--but I'd like to beat on them for the things they're actually guilty of (and their sins are legion).