Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxy and Stateful together ??

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () wirex com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 15:21:28 -0800

Bennett Todd wrote:

Given the difficulty finding really first-rack top quality secure
application-layer proxies, I think SELinux is coming to be an
exceedingly attractive platform for building these gizmos, since it
offers some helpful tools for sandboxing less-perfectly-trusted
daemons. I'd also be tempted to mix in some of the canary stuff from
Immunix (StackGuard and all that).

Immunix was designed to build these kinds of secure appliances. Our SubDomain feature does the same kind of sandboxing that SELinux does, but the sandboxing abstraction is much simpler:

   * SELinux: general purpose framework for mandatory access control
     (MAC) including features such as role-based access control (RBAC).
   * SubDomain: appliance-oriented MAC that lets you specify the file
     access that should be granted to each program.

SubDomain's simplicity makes it faster and easier to profile applications. This allowed us to very quickly profile a bunch of highly vulnerable and undocumented applications and CGI scripts in the 2002 Defcon Capture-the-Flag game http://news.com.com/2100-1001-948404.html

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
Chief Scientist, WireX                      http://wirex.com/~crispin/