Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxy and Stateful together ??

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 11:05:40 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Bennett Todd wrote:

[Moderator's note: There have been lots of product recommendations, I
hope the original questioner will summarize them all for the list early
next week, so we don't have a flood of "I like $product" messages.
Vendors are encouraged to e-mail the original questioner directly should
they feel the requirements are met with their respective products.]

2002-11-15-10:19:51 Jean Caron:
I'd really like to find a true hybrid firewall doing both
Application Level Proxy and Stateful Packet Filtering, with the
flexibility of doing either or.

My favourite bastion architecture!

Pick open source base OS of choice; I happen to like Linux, but any
of the *BSDs work as well. Use its builtin stateful packet
filtering, mix and match however tastes best with an assortment of
open source proxies of various sorts. Wherever possible use really
well-written, tightly-secured, high-level application proxies. The
gold standard of this sort would be, for SMTP, qmail and Postfix,
and for DNS, djbdns. All the others are a step down.

Given the difficulty finding really first-rack top quality secure
application-layer proxies, I think SELinux is coming to be an
exceedingly attractive platform for building these gizmos, since it
offers some helpful tools for sandboxing less-perfectly-trusted
daemons. I'd also be tempted to mix in some of the canary stuff from
Immunix (StackGuard and all that).

I'm curious about why you'd chose SELinux over RSBAC given several things:

1.  SELinux may end up patent encumbered from the DTE stuff.
2.  RSBAC is much older and therefore has an easier to evaluate history.
3.  RSBAC seems, at least on the face of it to be much easier to
administer.
4.  Recent RSBAC kernels have a jail facility built right in.
5.  The Goverment wasn't involved in RSBAC ;)

Would you mind sharing your rationale?

Might park a snort on it while I was about it, too.

Hmmm, isn't that adding a level of bloatedness that's a bit extreme?

The Olde Fashioned way to pull this off is of course to sandbox the
less-trustworthy application proxies out in separate physical boxes
out on DMZs. Nice if you can afford it:-).

-Bennett

Thanks,

Paul