Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Mainframes on the Net?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 21:02:04 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002, Desai, Ashish wrote:

IBM implemented this using new "syscalls". CA's security
montior did NOT know how to handle these new "syscalls" so
it allowed blanket access to the files. I don't know if IBM's
security monitor did the right thing.

It's not clear to me from some quick Web searches if Unix System Services
goes through RACF via some user-id equiv. mechanism, or if the main vector
is direct with its own ID/ACL scheme.

That's why I'd go Linux on VM- in that case you should be able to confirm
that the VM can only access the virtual devices you assign to it.

I don't know if CA fixed this problem.

This is where some time with the red books and then on a call with IBM
would produce some interesting results- the MVS runs *nix stuff is
obviously bolted on somewhat strangely, and knowing at what level the
subsystem has access to devices would tailor how and where things get
arranged.

Thanks for posting this, it certainly makes validation much more important
than if the native security interfaces were used.

Anyway the point I am making is that different OS instance
 may be given permission to access filesystem. Make sure
that the correct access is defined in the security monitor
so that the Internet facing system does not have access to the
core filesystem where the customer data is stored

Here's the only interesting audit document I could find:

http://www.auditnet.org/docs/USS.pdf

Paul