Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Mainframes on the Net?

From: "Desai, Ashish" <Ashish.Desai () fmr com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 13:24:31 -0500

a couple of years ago I had attended
Computer Associates annual conference.
These guys write one of the plugable security monitors
for the mainframe, product is called "TopSecret", IBM's
version is called "RACF"
Found out that running "unix" (prior to the days of linux)
on the mainframe, the "unix" instance was allowed to access
files that are stored on the MVS side.
IBM implemented this using new "syscalls". CA's security
montior did NOT know how to handle these new "syscalls" so
it allowed blanket access to the files. I don't know if IBM's
security monitor did the right thing.

I don't know if CA fixed this problem.

Anyway the point I am making is that different OS instance
 may be given permission to access filesystem. Make sure
that the correct access is defined in the security monitor
so that the Internet facing system does not have access to the
core filesystem where the customer data is stored

Ashish