Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Mainframes on the Net?

From: Lorens Kockum <firewall-wizards-20021015 () tagged lorens org>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:18:58 +0100

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 12:18:57PM -0500, Paul Robertson wrote:
VM's been out for what- ~30 years?  Unless they've been doing weird things
lately, most of the work has probably been in addressing extensions, and
POSIXey stuff, not in how the virtualization is handled.

As you said yourself (maybe in relation to something different):

The only real major issue I've ever seen [...]
that I spent about two months proving to IBM existed [...]
Rather than fixing it, they chose to document around it.

I have seen (on a dead tree somewhere long ago, couldn't find
it on Google) IBM's MVS product line manager quoted as saying
that "it would need an act of God to change anything in the MVS
kernel today".

Somehow I believe it, and they'd probably ask him to first prove
that he wrote it to begin with.

--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum