Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re[2]: VPN through DSL

From: Thomas Ray <thomas.ray () tcud state tx us>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:31:21 -0600

There is one other thing that nobody else has pointed out (except for
Jason).  PPPoE is different in some ways than standard PPP and because of
that, your success can depend on the hardware/software you use.
   I got SWBell DSL installed last year and they sent me the Speedstream
5260 and Enternet 300. I have to say that it is THE crappiest PPPoE
software. I would get dropped connections, crashing software,etc. The
software would crash on the system but the connection would stay alive. The
only way I could get it to reset would be by rebooting my win98/win2k boxes.
I rebooted those boxes more times in 1 month than I did in the  previous 3
years! I then started using a different PPPoE software (forget the
name--freeware named after the author), and had no issues whatsoever after
that. About a month later I bought myself a Linksys cable/dsl router,
trashed that PPPoE software, and haven't looked back since. My Linksys is
config'd as a bridge/hub and that is all. I haven't had time to sit down and
play with the router settings (the manual is somewhere under one of my other
multiple piles of paperwork.)
  Save yourself a lot of hassle and start simplifying your network so it
becomes more "standardized" instead of having to rely on the crutch of
running special PPPoE software that crashes most of the time. Then
troubleshoot the problem.
Why make life more difficult?

tom