Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Separate firewall administrator and firewall system administrator

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 14:57:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Bill Royds wrote:

That's not a bad idea, since it follows separation of duties principles =
and allows experts to be working in their area of expertise.
 The main caveat is that there needs to be a change management procedure =
for any changes n either the firewall configuration or system =
configuration so that the both administrators are confident that there =
is no conflict that could create risk.
 Your main concern as security administrator is that changes to OS =
configuration could create a vulnerable system holding your firewall. So =
you need to be aware of  and have control of patches and all services =
running on the firewall platform. You don't want your box administrators =
putting in SNMP on the firewall, for example.
But if they administrate what you specify, you now have two sets of eyes =
looking at things, lowering the risk of misconfiguration.

I don't know, I think I disagree, soon I fear the firewall will be running
DNS, to save machines, and/or smtp, or worserer, httpd or something.

Over-seperation of IT/IS departments into little fifdoms tends to layer in
so many levels of administration and change management issues that changes
that need to be done *now* take days or weeks to impliment, and soon right
hands don't know what left thumbs are doing or responsible for.  Next
thing you know, your IT/IS department starts to look and respond as poorly
as the FBI did prior to 9/11...

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne