Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Separate firewall administrator and firewall system administrator

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:56:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Joe Matusiewicz wrote:

Greetings,

Management came up with this new proposal.  Our firewalls should now have
the operating system managed by the system administration group.  The
current firewall administrators should only handle the firewall
software.  I never heard of this before.  Is there anyone out there doing this?

I've heard of it, and it's floated from time to time in some companies.
I've never heard of it working well anywhere.

Please feel free to comment on this idea.

You've gotten some pretty good thoughts so far, but I'll add my two cents:

Infrastructure needs to have limited access and careful control.
Firewalls are infrastructure, making responsibility, integrity and access
control into a multi-tiered thing is a bad idea overall.  Of course, by
design, there are tiers (OS vendor, platform vendor, software vendor...,)
but adding to that mix just seems to be courting disaster.

The admin group is responsible for administering systems that are
accessible to users.  Firewalls should be thought of more as traffic
control devices than security application servers.
This requires a different mindset, and if the firewall group can't apply
security-specific Operating System configurations, patches or adjunct
software, then someone in the admin group is going to have to learn about
security issues, and take responsibility for an increased window of
vulnerability when those things are appropriate.  There are lots of
patches that an admin group wouldn't use that might be appropriate to
apply to a firewall- finding some of those might be interesting if
someone were to do a more detailed "this is a bad idea..." thing.

Consider also upgrading- often, specific OS patches are necessary for an
upgrade to firewall software- twice as many bodies necessary onsite to do
an upgrade, and if it's an apply/patch/apply/patch type of thing, there's
a lot of idle time for an expesnive resource.

Auditability and accountability over two groups is significantly more
difficult.  This can't be stressed enough in the case of security
infrastructure.

The other thing to think about is your access policy.  What does the
security policy for the organization say about who can access the firewall
and how they do it?  Most commercial firewalls have built-in remote
management these days, but those don't allow remote access to the OS for
the most part.  How that plays into the standard administrative access and
how much "one off" stuff the admin group would have to do may be cause for
concern.  Think also escallation procedures- 2am trouble calls may now
mean two people showing up to deal with a situation, that's got to cost
the organization quite a bit- and potentially may cause a larger window
of exposure while "the right person" shows up.  If the OS group suddenly
needs remote access to the OS, there's a potential vector into the
firewall, and let's not forget the new policy synchronization stuff, if
the firewall group owns the security policy implementation, they could
obviously nuke the OS group's access.

Also, consider the fact that the firewall group controls border access,
that is, in most organizations they are a check and balance against rogue
administrators- but that assumes the administrators don't have access to
the gateway itself.  Adding N administrators to the number of people who
can drill holes through the firewall _should_ paint a frightening picture.
Sounds to me like whoever's in charge of security *really* needs more
visibility and understanding.

Personally, I wouldn't administer a firewall where my protection
obligations relied on $OS admin.  Morale and retention issues might also
be worth stressing- assuming you're against the proposed change.

Every security policy I've written has enumerated exactly the people who
should be allowed physical and administrative access to the firewall(s)
covered by that document.  I've always retained ownership over that part
of the policy, and have won even the "operations needs to back it up"
battles over the years by ensuring that I could cover the administrative
and operational issues without undo expense.  There's a risk/reward
analysis that I'd guess hasn't been done yet- and if someone's been
passing the Quake2 time off as "OS Administration," that battle's probably
about to be lost.

Paul