Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Disecting the Cisco PIX

From: "Noonan, Wesley" <Wesley_Noonan () bmc com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:24:52 -0500

inline

Wes Noonan, MCSE/CCNA/CCDA/NNCSS
Senior QA Rep.
BMC Software, Inc.
(713) 918-2412
wnoonan () bmc com
http://www.bmc.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Art Mason [mailto:a.c.mason () sbcglobal net]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 11:40
To: firewall-wizards () honor icsalabs com
Subject: [fw-wiz] Disecting the Cisco PIX

Out of curiosity, has anyone here ever cracked open any of the Cisco PIX
series firewalls chassis?  From what I've gathered by reading up on
their product information and by what people have said about them in
various mailing lists and newsgroups,  they are actually built on an x86
hardware platform w/ a Celeron 300MHz (PIX 506E) to Pentium III 1.0GHz
(PIX 535) CPU and anywhere from 32MB to 1GB RAM .

Yeah. Dunno the specs off the top of my head, but they are essentially PCs.

I understand the
storage media to be compact flash (4-16MB capacity) and on the low-end
models w/ 10Mb throughput, they actually use an ISA NIC in the chassis.

Dunno about the ISA NIC thing, but I know people that have managed to get
them to work using a regular old desktop NIC... though it is not supported
by Cisco for obvious reasons.

I've also read that the PIX doesn't support local logging (everything
needs to be redirected to a syslog server).  Can anyone confirm any of
this?

Local logging in what capacity? To the file system? No, not realistically.
To the console, yeah. To a history buffer, yeah.

If so, why couldn't one just throw OpenBSD onto some flash media,
drop a couple of Intel Pro100+ dual-port NICs in a 2U rackmount case,
maybe offload some of the VPN stuff onto an ASIC-based encryption
acceleration card, and save some big bucks, granted they know how to set
up PF from the CLI?

What big bucks? The bucks for the hardware? The bucks for the person who can
write the code? The bucks for the person who maintains the code? Not sure I
follow. I suppose that small shops all over the place that have specialized
Unix expertise actually do this all the time, but it think that it is more a
niche scenario than anything else.

This is just something I've been wondering about
for a while, and was curious as to what others in the know had to say
about it.  Thanks in advance.

Interesting idea, in certain circumstances.