Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PIX vs Checkpoint vs Sonicwall vs Netscreen - comments?

From: Brian Ford <brford () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 13:59:21 -0400

Cor,

Regarding your comments:

PIX is hard to configure and some PIX appliances have problems with
their power supplies.

If you have difficulties configuring the PIX may I suggest you take a look at any of our more recent PIX OS versions (v6 or later) and PIX Device Manager (PDM). We've added several features which have made it dramatically easier to install the PIX Firewall. In addition, the PIX 501 and 506 now ship in a "plug and play" configuration running DHCP client on the outside and DHCP server on the inside. Coupled with the PIX Adaptive Security Algorithm (which provides the PIX default Stateful security policy) this is a very secure out of the box solution.

Regarding problems with power supplies; there was an issue some time ago that affected only some models. Notices went out and any customer can swap those affected units for an updated replacement.

In addition; in v6.2 of the PIX OS we have added an "Auto Update" capability that allows remote PIXen to "call home" to a centralized server(s) for configuration or image updates.

Liberty for All,

Brian