Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX vs Checkpoint vs Sonicwall vs Netscreen - comments?

From: Dave Mitchell <dave () jnsnet com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 10:31:26 -0600

I personally prefer Netscreen's to either PIX or Checkpoint.
My main factors for liking Netscreen are:

1) ASIC based appliance. More flows, more tunnels & faster crypto.
2) Many different models to fit the need of a particular site.
3) Much better price point.
4) Easier to manage. Great CLI and GUI.
5) Great IPSec interoperability.
6) Ability to cheaply provide RAS IPSec services. Windows or
   Linux. (freeswan)
7) Multiple authentication schemes. Local, RADIUS, NT, SecureID...
8) DS codepoint marking for traffic shaping.
9) Mechanisms for detecting and throttling widely used attacks.
10) Ability to use a websense server.
11) HA, Hub/spoke IPSec routing, OSPF support coming...

Just my $.02.

-dave