Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Securing a Linux Firewall

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:16:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, Carson Gaspar wrote:

If the binary grants no additional privileges, then it can do nothing the
attacker couldn't do already. If you can execute shell code, you can copy
bits onto the box (at your current privilege level) - assuming there is at
least one writable directory on the box.

s/can/may be able to/, it depends on the ammount of space the attacker has
to work with- also the attacker may only have write access to a
noexec/nodev filesystem.

You also may be running an architecture that the attacker doesn't have
easy access to- which could give you enough time to notice the attack.

So far, the only comments I've received that make sense are:

- Not having the binary in the expected location prevents skript kiddiez
attacks from suceeding

In my opinion, this provides minimal additional security. My threat model
is a determined attacker, not a clueless scriptoid.

That depends on your maintenance cycles, how closely you watch the
software you're running, etc.  As with all else, it's a tradeoff.  It can
also be thought of as defense in depth for an admin error.

- If the binary isn't on the box, nobody can enable the service by accident

True. But I feel that a regular system config audit is a better way of
confirming that nobody's done anything unfortunate.

Again, there's an argument for defense in depth.

There are a few reasons I don't like the "strip everything off the box"
mentality.

- It frequently makes debugging problems nearly impossible, as the
necessary tools are not present.

This is almost always true.

- Every time a patch or a new OS version is released, the set of files that
are required changes. Also, new privileged binaries may appear.

The file set shouldn't change that often.  If you're nuking "not known"
binairies, the process you use to audit the nuking should catch anything.

I've had to maintain "jumpstart"-like images for secure servers.
Maintaining a "known-good" list for privileged binaries is relatively
straightforward. Maintaining a "known-good" list of _all_ binaries is a
nightmare. I further assert that maintaining a "known-bad" list is a lost
cause.

It depends on how you approach it, I've gone through the exercise of "what
functionality do I need, and can I stuff it all in a static binary that I
maintain control of which requires authentication to execute?" path
before- I'm not sure it's always worth the additional effort, but it
sometimes might be if you have boxes that you have to leave out in hostile
environments for long periods of time without a great deal of care and
feeding.

Paul