Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Securing a Linux Firewall

From: "Mordechai T. Abzug" <morty () frakir org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:19:42 -0400

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 02:36:03PM -0400, Carson Gaspar wrote:

OK - as someone who seems to represent the "remove the executables"
camp, can you explain your reasoning? I've never been able to
understand _why_ removing files buys you anything?

I like to remove whole "packages" that contain undesirable
executables.  That allows me to install vendor-supplied patch bundles
without reenabling most of the services that I had disabled.  In
practice, it's usually not possible to do this with perfect
granularity, so it's still necessary to go back in and clean up after
a patch bundle.  But it's nice to have less to worry about.

- Morty