Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Securing a Linux Firewall

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:42:58 -0400

--On Tuesday, July 23, 2002 4:22 PM -0400 Bruce Platt <Bruce () ei3 com> wrote:

Everything on the box that you don't need is a potential way for someone
to grab control of an executable which can cause damage.  Just because the
image isn't executed during init processing doesn't mean that someone
can't start it up some other way.

If the binary grants no additional privileges, then it can do nothing the attacker couldn't do already. If you can execute shell code, you can copy bits onto the box (at your current privilege level) - assuming there is at least one writable directory on the box.

So far, the only comments I've received that make sense are:

- Not having the binary in the expected location prevents skript kiddiez attacks from suceeding

In my opinion, this provides minimal additional security. My threat model is a determined attacker, not a clueless scriptoid.

- If the binary isn't on the box, nobody can enable the service by accident

True. But I feel that a regular system config audit is a better way of confirming that nobody's done anything unfortunate.

There are a few reasons I don't like the "strip everything off the box" mentality.

- It frequently makes debugging problems nearly impossible, as the necessary tools are not present.

- Every time a patch or a new OS version is released, the set of files that are required changes. Also, new privileged binaries may appear.

I've had to maintain "jumpstart"-like images for secure servers. Maintaining a "known-good" list for privileged binaries is relatively straightforward. Maintaining a "known-good" list of _all_ binaries is a nightmare. I further assert that maintaining a "known-bad" list is a lost cause.

--
Carson