Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NIMDA, how to stop it

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 19:51:36 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, R. DuFresne wrote:

It's a pretty nasty and hard to control viri/worm, much more potents then
what has been seen in the past.

Agreed.

[snip]

The best way to defend against this nasty code, in our mind is:

educating users about e-mail and teaching them to not just point and click
on mails they are not sure of origination and contain attachments.

Education will fail, and users are too used to getting attachments from
people the "trust," which is why most of the worms use address books
(really a social vector.)

It'd be kind of interesting to see how many people out you have to go to
be in someone's address book (sort of like the everyone in the world knows
someone who knows 1 in N people they meet stuff.)

I'm increasingly convinced that having e-mail on a server that displays
messages via HTTPS and allows download of specificly permitted attachment
types is a bigger win than posting signs in the elevators or having people
attend training simply because training doesn't stick well enough due to
the large social use of attachments and e-mail.

anti-virus software not just on the servers, but each desktop also,
keeping the virus signatures on the servers and desktops is a must.

NIMDA spread rapily enough that detection wasn't on time for a large
number of people.  Whilst this point *is* important for known malcode, it's
less useful for rapidly spreading new stuff.

Patching IIS servers to prevent their infection, the patches had been
available before this or code red and it's variants had been released, few
folks took the patches seriously and thus the quick spread of these
nasties as well as the vast number of machines that remain infected to
this day.

Absolutely.  Let's not forget the client-side patching that everyone seems
to have completely given up on.

Of course, folks not using windows related products are less likely to
face difficulties with these nasties, though others infected throughout
the net can affect your companies bandwidth when such viri/worms are
unleashed and start to spread as quickly as such code these days does...

Poisonbox wormed Solaris boxen to deface IIS servers, and 1i0n/ramen/adore
weren't exactly benign, so less dilligence isn't recommended.  We're
*still* seeing relatively large incidences of BIND/RPC/FTP compromises, so
I'd restrict this to the collateral damage stuff and not press too hard on
the Win* stuff.

Being this worm has a diverse number of attack vectors, some comprising
oten open ports via smtp and http, it has been extremely difficult to deal
with via simple firewalling concepts.  Proxies can help ome, but, not
completely...

Egress filtering for Web servers would have helped tremendously.

Of course, others might have additional or better info, so, I could well
stand corrected, and would appreciate any corrrections.

Good thoughts, I'm just not sure that everyone has mapped the traditional
thinking to the rate of spread of an agressive multi-vector/target worm
like NIMDA.

Paul