Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: bridging enterprise hardware firewall

From: "Loomis, Rip" <GILBERT.R.LOOMIS () saic com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:29:43 -0500

I'm investigating various commercial firewall solutions for a client
at the moment.  [[SNIP]] Ideally, we would still like
to stick w/ a transparent bridging solution to avoid addressing and
routing complications that would otherwise be introduced.  [[SNIP]]

So basically my question is, what enterprise integrated firewall
products are capable of similar functionality at this point?

I've previously used Lucent's Model 201 brick and the Lucent Security
Management Software for work like this--there's now a family of
bricks and either the 201 or the 1000 looks like it might fit your
needs.  I didn't care for certain aspects of the previous LSMS
software (I'm told that they're fixed in newer versions) but the
hardware was reliable.  This is definitely not a cheap solution,
though.  Info is on Lucent's website--the URLs are useless to post
because of how they've structured things, but just do a search for
"201 brick" or "VPN firewall" and things should pop up.

HTH, and let me know off-list if you have more detailed questions
that the Lucent website and reps can't answer.  There were also
discussions on this topic on this list within the last 6 months--
you might check the archives if you haven't already.

--
Rip Loomis                         Senior Systems Security Engineer
SAIC Secure Business Solutions Group         www.saic.com/securebiz