Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: concerning ~el8 / project mayhem

From: jankowsr () mskcc org
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 12:07:39 -0400

Hiya Paul,

While I am indeed advocating good design, I'm not against
validation, I'm
against vulnerability scanning- that, I think is our point of
difference
(or maybe I just didn't articulate it well.)  In other words,
I'm saying
that configuration validation is better than vulnerability
testing for
almost all classes of electronic attack.

I completely agree that it's impossible to determine the overall
security posture of a system by running any vulnerability scanner. In my
pass off the output from a scanner and say "Here's your main exposures",
or worse yet, to say "You're secure" when the scanner found nothing!

But I do think that vulnerability scanners have a place, in that they
give the system administrators and architects the ability to find and
remediate a lot of the more common exposures, like the IIS
vulnerabilities that seem to be present on anything Microsoft, etc.

I've seen times (not at my current employer, thankfully) where there was
a lot of political backlash about not wanting the InfoSec guys to do a
hands-on. Running a scanner and presenting the results to management
usually demonstrated that there was significant risk in the system to
warrant a more formal review.

But overall, I think you're right, scanning by itself is worthless, and
could cause more harm than no scanning at all.

--
Richard Jankowski
Senior Security Analyst