Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: concerning ~el8 / project mayhem

From: Dave Piscitello <dave () corecom com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:42:24 -0400

Several points, but brief:

>the notion that a security person's security is an indication of how well they can
>secure others. ...

How many of us worry overly much about this? I do, or did until maybe just now.
Anyone's security is a set of interdependencies: the software they run without the benefit of having examined every line of source, the configurations they set that create whatever compromise an individual determines suits his or her needs for connectedness, convenience and security, the trust in 3rd parties providing service, etc. If we all spent as much time reviewing code we run as those intent on breaking code, we'd be running secure systems, save for the fact that we'd be broke and jobless.

>by holding such a high expectation, we're making our
>practitioners vulnerable to this kind of blackmail from the hackers.

The irony here is that practitioners can only try to make the best of a bad situation - exploited code isn't the practitioner's product, but he's held accountable for not anticipating it?

(* not trusting the expertise of an expert you just paid a ton
of money for is stupid by any definition I can think of...)

I've sorted through my many definitions of stupid here. There's an Andersen Consulting joke somewhere that probably fits. But no one's laughing over this any longer, nor is Andersen the only butt of the joke.

David M. Piscitello
Core Competence, Inc. &
3 Myrtle Bank Lane
Hilton Head, SC 29926