Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Intrusion Prevention Firewall

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:04:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Dave Piscitello wrote:

But this isn't something *new*. Several firewalls do exactly this
My WGRD Firebox temporarily blocks hosts according to a DOS
and attack signature library, and my Rapidstream
can detect basic DOS attacks and tries to mitigate the effects by
discarding traffic. I'm pretty certain if I turn on my SonicWall, it has
some feature like this.

doesn't this "attack signature library" put the firewall into the
DIS/virus scanner category though?  Meaning this library has to be
maintained and updated regularly to be most effective, and the rules it
plays upon has to be regularly maintained to make sure it's not
over-reacting to signatures it detects from address space you need to
reach out and deal with, like corporate partners, vendor sites and what
not?  This can be an administrative nightmare and requiring lots of
documentation in case you're not there when updates and changes are
required can't it?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!